25 years ago, Synectics designed and deployed the nation’s first comprehensive mental health and drug abuse treatment locator for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) of Health and Human Services (HHS). The database, known as Behavioral Health Services Information System (BHSIS), set a standard for tracking national public health data.
Today, Synectics is the sole contractor supporting this publicly accessible, confidential, and interactive system that encompasses data exchanges with all U.S. states, territories, and tribes. The locator receives millions of inquiries each year from individuals and families seeking treatment. It is a prevailing example of how we can turn raw data into meaningful information.
Our expertise allows us to work across traditional disciplines to provide clients with effective, evidence-based solutions for today’s complex health care challenges. We blend an innovative spirit with a focus on high-quality methodologies to advance the diagnosis and treatment of disease, alleviate health disparities, and improve well-being across populations. Our solutions include:
- Behavioral Health Management – Developing improved methods of measuring substance abuse and mental health and their consequences in high-risk populations.
- Disease Management – Applying implementation methodologies, applied science, community-based research, and social marketing to support programs that inform and influence health and well-being.
- Pilot, Prototype, Project, and Program Development – Customization, configuration and evaluation of studies and ideas from proof of concept phase to full scale national implementation.
- IT Evaluation – Combining our expertise across our practice areas with a rich quantitative and qualitative analysis, we deliver nuanced evaluation that enables decision-makers to move forward with IT products and services with confidence.
- Data Management and Decision Support Systems – We conduct needs assessments, develop and deliver training, and provide data science expertise and tools tailored to the needs of our clients and their programs.
- Mobile Applications – Making research and communication more accessible through mobile technologies.
- Process Engineering and Technology Development – Evaluating complex data, program workflows and human-factors engineering in the development new systems.
- Software Development – Creating mobile-friendly, open source applications for collecting and managing data using an Agile development framework.
- Security – We evaluate data and systems managing sensitive data and intellectual capital. We understand the vitally important task of protecting personal health information (PHI) and personal identifying information (PII).
For many years, Synectics has used its research, statistical, data science, and analytics prowess to gather datasets and create searchable healthcare databases and other innovative health solutions for agencies within HHS. These registries monitor public health through expertise in tracing, cohort, tracking, and communications. These databases have helped countless families and provides Congress and the States the information they need to make informed decisions and achieve objectives. Examples of our support include:
- The National Survey of Substance Abuse Services, identifying nearly 14,000 treatment providers, updated on a monthly basis (N-SSATS for SAMHSA)
- The National Mental Health Services Survey, detailing nearly 11,000 treatment centers (N-MHSS for SAMHSA)
- The Treatment Episode Data Set, TEDS, collects and processes approximately 2 million admissions and discharges a year to behavioral health treatment centers in the U.S. This is the core database on mental health and substance abuse for Health and Human Services
- The Online Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
- The Buprenorphine Waiver Notification System and Physician Locator
- Datasets for the Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS)
- Clinical discussion web-boards for physicians